Sony Xperia 1 III Review
Sony is back again and rejecting the drop in sales results at all , it even got some very first smartphones for us. The Xperia 1 III, the latest true flagship phone in the bunch, is the logical one for those, and we’re here to tell you all about it.
Ever since the Xperia Z5 Premium came out in 2015, top-tier Sony phones have had 4K displays. Xperia 1 III combines high resolution and high refresh rate in one device, making it the first smartphone with a 4K 120Hz screen. ( Update: We’ve confirmed that 4K and 120Hz only work simultaneously after publishing this review.)
Another novelty is the telephoto camera with variable focal length. 5x binoculars are mainly prevalent now, and the long range is most welcome. But for medium zoom levels, you usually need to rely on digital zoom or a second telephoto camera. The Xperia 1 III offers an alternative – the Periscope camera can switch between 2.9x and 4.4x zoom levels (70mm and 105mm respectively). Now this is the first.
The rest of the Xperia is fairly standard, or at least not something we haven’t seen before. It’s a high-end Android phone in 2021, meaning the Snapdragon 888 is up front, and there’s more RAM than that of the reference’s ultrabook (12GB standard). Gorilla Glass front and back, dust and water protection, a 4,500mAh battery with (fairly) fast charging — some things couldn’t be quite different.
A quick overview of the specifications of the Sony Xperia 1 III:
- Body: 165.0 x 71.0 x 8.2 mm, 186 grams; front glass (Gorilla Glass Victus), glass back (Gorilla Glass 6), aluminum frame; IP65 / IP68 Dust / Water Resistant (up to 1.5 meters for 30 minutes).
- Screen: 6.50 inch OLED, 1B colour, 120Hz, HDR BT.2020, 1644 x 3840 pixels resolution, 21.02:9 aspect ratio, 643 ppi; 4K @ 60 Hz / FHD @ 120 Hz.
- الرقاقة: Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 5G (5 nm): Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 680 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 680 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 680) ؛ ادرينو 660.
- Memory: 256 GB 12 GB RAM, 512 GB 12 GB RAM; UFS 3.X; microSDXC (uses a shared SIM slot).
- Operating System/Software: Android 11.
- Rear camera: Wide (main) : 12 MP, f/1.7, 24mm, 1/1.7″, 1.8µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS; Ultra Wide : 12 MP, f/2.2, 124°, 16mm , 1/2.6″, Dual Pixel PDAF; Telephoto : 12 MP, f/2.3, 70mm, f/2.8, 105mm, 1/2.9″, Dual Pixel PDAF, 3x/4.4x optical zoom, OIS; Depth : 0.3 MP, TOF 3D.
- Front: camera 8 mega pixels , f / 2.0, 24 mm (width), 1/4 inch, 1.12 micrometer.
- Video Capture: Rear Camera : 4K @ 24/25/30/60/120fps HDR, 1080P @30/60/120/240fps; 5 gyro axes, OIS; Front camera : 1080p @ 30fps, 5-axis gyro-EIS.
- Battery: 4500 mAh. 30W fast charging, 50% in 30 minutes (advertised), fast wireless charging, reverse wireless charging, USB power delivery.
- misc: fingerprint reader (side-mounted); NFC; 3.5 mm jack.
Sony Xperia 1 III unboxing
The Xperia 1 III ships in what has been a white 2-pack from Sony for a few years now. The Xperia logo and model number are embossed in the center of the lid in glossy lettering, while a smaller gray “Sony” logo is located at the near end. It is a simple yet elegant and sturdy box.
Our review unit came with a charger, USB-C cable, and nothing else. We got the XQZ-UC1 Adapter (30W, USB PowerDelivery) which is the best that Sony has to offer, and we think that’s what will ship with the retail units as well. However, your package may differ from our package.