Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3 5G Review
Foldable for the masses, that’s the direction we’re headed. Well, maybe that’s a bit of a stretch, but at $999 / €1049 for the base version, the Galaxy Z Flip3 5G is the most affordable smartphone with a curved screen.
In addition to its lower price, the Flip3 comes with some significant improvements over the previous generation. Since we’re on the topic of generations, the Flip3 is the third installment in the lineup, with the original Flip update and the chipset update that Flip 5G almost made sense as the number 3 in the new model name.
Anyway, in no particular order, the upgrades include an IPX8 rating for water resistance (the “X” means it’s not rated as dust-tight), and a high refresh rate on the glorified Dynamic AMOLED 2X main screen (the Flip and Flip 5G were 60Hz) Larger and more useful screen coverage. There’s also the mandatory chipset upgrade that sees the Snapdragon 888 inside the new Flip.
However, we will have to take the good with the bad, since there are new generation stopping areas in them, which are very important. It’s mostly the cameras that make us pause. The rear setup is topped off by a small 1/2.55-inch sensor which is a descendant of the one that came in the Galaxy S7 long ago, the phone has no autofocus, and no telephoto of any kind. Inside isn’t impressive either, with a relatively dim lens and no autofocus either.
The 15W charging capacity goes back days further, although one could argue you don’t need much more with the small 3300mAh battery – some consolation. The new model starts with 128GB of storage, rather than the previous generation’s only 256GB approach – which may have helped drive up the price.
It may sound more like a conclusion than an introduction, but we just had to go over the key specs, and we’ve barely made a decision about this writing. These are the numbers at a glance, before we get started.
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3 5G Specifications Glimpse:
- Body: 166.0 x 72.2 x 6.9 mm, 183 grams; plastic front, glass back (Gorilla Glass Victus), aluminum frame; IPX8 water resistance (up to 1.5 meters for 30 minutes).
- Screen: 6.70 inch foldable AMOLED 2X, 120 Hz, HDR10 +, 1200 nits (peak), resolution 1080 x 2640 pixels, aspect ratio 22: 9, 426 pixels per inch; Cover screen: Super AMOLED, 1.9 inches, 260 x 512 pixels.
- الرقاقة: Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 5G (5 nm): Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 680 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 680 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 680) ؛ ادرينو 660.
- Memory: 128 GB RAM 8 GB, 256 GB RAM 8 GB; UFS 3.1.
- Operating System/Software: Android 11, One UI 3.1.
- Rear camera: Wide (main) : 12 MP, f/1.8, 27mm, 1/2.55″, 1.4 µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS; Ultra wide angle : 12 MP, f/2.2, 123°, 1.12 µm .
- Front: Camera 10 mega pixels , f / 2.4, 26 mm (width), 1.22 micrometer.
- Video capture: Rear camera : 4K @ 30 / 60fps, 1080p @ 60 / 240fps, 720p @ 960fps, HDR10+; Front camera : 4K @ 30fps.
- Battery: 3300 mAh. 15W fast charging, 10W fast wireless charging, 4.5W reverse wireless charging.
- misc: fingerprint reader (side-mounted); NFC; Samsung Pay (Visa, MasterCard certified).
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3 5G unboxing
There is not much to unpack here. The Galaxy Z Flip3 comes in a gray two-and-a-half-height box – so you don’t expect to find much inside. The large “Z” indicates the name of the phone and its foldable nature.
The Z Flip3 5G is located on top, face up in its unfolded state. Below it is a paper sleeve that holds the USB-C cable and the SIM ejection pin, and that’s it.
In some regions, pre-order packages will include a 25W adapter, wireless charger, Samsung Store credit at different amounts, or buy-back discounts — in some places more than one at a time to help improve the deal. However, in the very box, you only get the bare minimum.