Huawei MatePad 11 (2021) Review
Introduction and Specifications
Before the pandemic, everyone thought the days of the Android tablet were numbered. However, with people staying at home, tablet sales saw a steady recovery in 2021 as well. It was a natural step for Huawei to continue its efforts in the space. Especially since the company was among the few manufacturers that kept pouring resources into making Android tablets when no one else would.
The challenge for Huawei is twofold. Not only do they face increased competition as everyone switches to tablets again, but they also need to prove that the all-new HarmonyOS is a complete alternative to Google’s Android operating system as we know it.
And they have the latest Matepad lineup to lead the way. We’ve already checked the MatePad Pro 12.6 in detail and now it’s time to take a look at the 2021 version of the vanilla MatePad 11, which appears to be a well-rounded device and asks for a more reasonable €400 (6GB / 64GB).
We haven’t reviewed the Matepad Pro 10.8 but the vanilla Matepad 11 seems to share many features – like a Snapdragon chipset or an LCD panel. The Matepad Pro 10.8 prioritizes color accuracy and maximum brightness, but the Matepad 11 makes up for these shortcomings by offering a 120Hz refresh rate, which is very nice.
A quick overview of Huawei MatePad 11 (2021) specifications:
- Body: 253.8 x 165.3 x 7.3 mm, 485 grams; plastic frame and back; Pen support (magnetic).
- Screen: 10.95 inch IPS LCD, 120 Hz, resolution 2560 x 1600 pixels, aspect ratio 5.63: 9, 276 ppi.
- الرقاقة: Qualcomm SM8250 Snapdragon 865 5G (7 nm +): Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 585 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 585) ؛ أدرينو 650.
- Memory: 64 GB 6 GB RAM, 128 GB 6 GB RAM, 256 GB 6 GB RAM; microSDXC (dedicated slot).
- Operating System/Software: HarmonyOS 2.0.
- Back camera: 13 MP, f / 1.8, PDAF.
- Front camera: 8 MP, f / 2.0.
- Video capture: Rear camera : 4K@30fps, 1080p@30fps; Front camera : 1080p @ 30fps.
- Battery: 7250 mAh. 22.5W fast charging, 5W reverse charging.
- Miscellaneous: accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass.
The battery is the same as that of the Pro with a capacity of 7250 mAh, but the charging speeds are much lower and it does not support wireless charging. After all, costs had to be reduced to reach the target price. For example, there is no cellular variant and base storage is twice as low.
On the other hand, the vanilla MediaPad 11 is the only one of the series that uses a standard microSD card slot instead of Huawei; Hard-to-find private NM cards have a price per gigabyte. So if storage is important, the MediaPad 11 might be the most sensible option to proceed with.
Sure, the review doesn’t end with the spec sheet. In the end, we think the MediaPad 11 is a reasonable solution as it offers the majority of features and offers a similar user experience compared to its more expensive siblings – MediaPad Pro 12.6 and Pro 10.8. Е Especially since it supports accessories like Huawei’s M-Pencil and Smart Magnetic Keyboard. And the latter is currently included with the device itself, but you should still check if the offer is in your area.
Unlock the Huawei MatePad 11 case
The Huawei MatePad 11 comes in a standard box with a compatible 22.5W charger and a USB-A to USB-C cable used for data transfer as well. Since there is no 3.5mm audio jack, Huawei bundles a dongle.
We got our review unit with the so-called Huawei Smart Magnetic Keyboard, which is only compatible with the MatePad 11, but you have to buy it separately. We’ve seen two offers in some countries that include the keyboard if you choose the higher storage type.